Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Awareness

April is autism awareness month. And today (April 2nd) is National Autism Awareness Day.
It was just released that autism now affects 1 in 68 children (previously 1 in 88).
I know we have a long way to go, to the day where people really understand what autism is all about, but we are headed the right direction.
I know when I got out, people stare. They see him flapping (or stimming), and wonder what is going on. They see him screaming in a restaurant, and his parents pulling out an iPad to try to calm him down (because seriously, this is the only way we can have dinner out as a family), and judge us. It bothered me initially, but not so much anymore. People just don't understand. But I don't care. He is who he is and he is amazing... I wouldn't change him for the world. I just want others to understand. To understand that my child is just a child. He is still smart. Smarter than anyone will ever give him credit for. He is still loving. The biggest love bug of all my boys. He is happy. So happy. I see him for who he is every single day. He is growing, learning, and fighting. He is growing into an amazing little boy. He makes me smile. Makes my heart happy. Makes me a better person.
Love my baby <3


No comments:

Post a Comment